me:If you enjoy consuming animal meat, this is the season to eat it.
The optimal way to eat to avoid illness, lose weight and stay healthy is to eat with
Winter is the time of hibernation and we need to insulate ourselves from the cold. It’s normal to gain about 5 pounds during the cold, winter months.
- Eat a high protein/high fat diet (e.g. 40% protein, 30% fat, 30% carb).
- Eat sweet, sour and salty foods that nurture and warm us.
- Cook with ghee (clarified butter). I love ghee because the casein (one of the
proteins in milk) is eliminated and it is fully saturated so that it can not
turn into an unhealthy trans fat. Eat warm, unctuous (oily) foods, such as
hearty stews, soups, avocados, herbal teas and steamed vegetables.
- Avoid fried foods that are hard to digest.
- Avoid cold or ice-cold foods, since they douse the digestive fire.
- Drink warm lemon water to cleanse your lymph each morning.
The link below contains a Winter Grocery List by my favorite Ayurvedic practitioner, Dr. John Douillard